My most recent blog has been live for a few months now so I thought I’d write about what I have learnt and any social media tips that I can give to new bloggers. I have been blogging for nearly a year now (on my other website Expanse Social) about social media, future technology and robots – yes, that’s the nerdy side of me!
Once your website is up and running, building a good profile on social media is essential. Platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+ and LinkedIn are the best to use. Choose at least three depending on what you blog about and what platforms your target audience use most. For most bloggers, myself included, Facebook is the best for driving traffic to your blog!
The average beginner blogger will set up their profiles or pages on social networking sites and simply post on them whenever they publish a new blog post. Follow the 10 tips below in order to increase your blog’s traffic by using social media in a more effective way to gain thousands of new readers.
1. When you write a new post share it on your blog’s social media pages.
2. Then share it on your personal social media profiles.
3. Ask your friends and family to share it.
4. Search for Facebook groups or pages that are associated with what you have just written about and ask if they can share your post.
5. If you mention a company or brand in your post, tag them in the post on Twitter or post it to their Facebook page. (Chances are they will retweet it to their followers, which will most likely be a much larger following than your own).
6. Use hashtags, especially on Twitter and Instagram to get people who are interested in those tags to see your post.
7. Join Facebook groups specifically for blogging.
8. Join Facebook groups specifically for the topics you blog about.
9. Don’t just promote your post once on social media, keep coming back to promote it every so often.
10. Engage with your audience by replying to comments and comment on posts by other bloggers.
If you go a bit further with social media by following the above steps, you will definitely see an increase in traffic, discover other blogs and bloggers, and even begin to feel like you belong to a community.
Some of the Facebook groups I have joined include Blogging Network, Blogging Boost and Girls Who Travel. The group members are so supportive and constantly giving out hints and tips for success so definitely join these kinds of groups!
Need more tips on growing your blog? Here’s how to grow your blog by joining a blogging tribe.